TMJ stress relieved with treatment in NewnanDo you suffer from TMJ problems? You aren’t alone – an estimated 10 million Americans are affected by symptoms emanating from jaw joints. Many people do not seek treatment. They have been told that their only options are powerful pain killers or surgery. Dr. Shrenna Clifton in Newnan helps patients find relief from TMJ disorders, with dental treatment and gentle therapies.
Diagnosing TMJMaybe you suspect a TMJ problem, but you aren’t sure. Common symptoms are:
- Tenderness in the jaw.
- Reduced mobility.
- Mouth locks.
- Jaw makes clicking, grinding sounds.
- Difficulty chewing.
- Facial pain.
- Pain in and around the ears.
- Ringing ears.
- Stiffness in neck and shoulders.
- Headaches and migraines.
- Bruxism – nighttime clenching and grinding.
Effective treatmentTemporomandibular joint dysfunction has a dramatic impact on quality of life. Dr. Clifton takes as much time as necessary to understand symptoms and make an accurate diagnosis .If a determination of TMJ is made, she explains treatment options beginning with the most conservative approach, and progressing until you find relief.
Your individualized treatment plan may include:
- Stress reduction – TMJ commonly flares up during periods of stress. Meditation, yoga, or massage can help.
- Custom-fit mouth guard – Adjusts bite to reduce strain on the jaw, and minimize potential damage to teeth and bones from bruxism.
- Realignment – This method changes the shape of teeth to eliminate or greatly reduce bite misalignment. (As an added benefit, it can also improve smile aesthetics!) Dr. Clifton assess how teeth and jaws come together, and makes modifications to existing restorations and possibly natural tooth structure. The procedure is not painful. It typically involves crown recontouring, application of bonding materials, fillings, and crowns.
- As a final alternative – Muscle relaxant medications.
Take control of jaw pain instead of letting it control your life. Call Smiles for the Family in Newnan at (770) 285-1244 for effective TMJ treatment.
We are happy to answer your questions and schedule you for your consultation.Call (770) 285-1244 today.
Smiles for the familyRating : 5
Phil in Peachtree City I went to see them for the first time today and had a wonderful experience! I am so happy I found such a great place. The staff are friendly and easy to talk with, the building is nice and clean and they did great work on my teeth. I will not be going anywhere else and neither will my small tribe haha. Strongly
recommend this place!